Thursday, April 5, 2012

A Father's Touch


By Tom Alexander Jr.
Son your mother may not tell you everything
Yes, her life will be no crystal stair, but  mine will be one that is obscured
Obscured by lies, brutality, misunderstanding, and judgment
Many will say I left because I was lazy and did not love you
They will fail to tell you that if I stayed I would not be able to support you

Many will say I was a brute who only wanted to abuse you
They will fail to tell you that my humanity is my greatest strong suit
Most see and misunderstand me, because they judge me before they get to know me
I am opening my heart and my hands to you, so you can see and feel me
I hope that this touch now, will help your misunderstanding  disappear later
Many will give you an impression that I am someone other than your Father
Son, like your mother I will never forget you
While she encourages you  to climb
I will be in the distance watching and ready to catch you if you fall
While she goes in dark places where there is no light
I remain in those places looking for a place to bring you life
Son, please know that when I am not there, I will be on my knees praying, crying, and pleading
Praying that God would forgive me and grant me an opportunity to be there for you
Crying from the depths of my soul each time you feel pain
Pleading that one day the truth be revealed to you about me
As I know your mother will help you get to the top
I know one day you will become a Father
You will touch your sons and your daughters hand
So I hope touching your hand now helps you become a better Father in the future





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are highly encouraged.

Blog Archive